ECE 563: Information Theory (Fall 2017)
- Important dates
- Midterm 1: Mon Oct 9, 7-9:30pm
Midterm 2: Mon Nov 13, 7-9:30pm
Final exam: TBA
- November 2
- Homework 6 is out, due by the end of the day on Thursday, November 9.
- October 26
- Homework 5 is out, due by the end of the day on Thursday, November 2.
- October 17
- There will be no instructor office hours on Tuesday, October 17.
- Homework 4 is now due by the end of the day on Tuesday, October 24.
- October 11
- Homework 4 is out, due by the end of the day on Thursday, October 19.
- October 3
- There will be no instructor office hours on Tuesday, October 3. TA office hours will be as usual: 4--6pm in 141 CSL.
- September 26
- There was a typo in Homework 3, Problem 4: in the Fano inequality, M and N should be switched.
- September 21
- Homework 3 is out, due by the end of the day on Thursday, September 28.
- September 7
- Homework 2 is out, due by the end of the day on Thursday, September 14.
- September 5
- The TA office hours will be held every Tuesday, 4-6pm, in 141 CSL.
- September 4
- The compass2g space for the course has been created. Please see the coursework info for instructions.
- We have also set up Piazza for the course.
- August 31
- Homework 1 is out, due by the end of the day on Thursday, September 7. All homework submissions will be done through Compass (not Gradescope), see coursework info for instructions.
- August 27
Welcome! Watch this space for all important course-related announcements.
- The first lecture is this Tuesday, August 29. You should read Chapter 1 of Cover and Thomas before the lecture.
- The first homework will be assigned on Thursday, August 31, due next Thursday, September 7. Each student must submit their own individual solutions on Gradescope, details to be announced soon.
About this course
- What is this?
- ECE 563: Information Theory is a graduate-level introduction to the mathematics of information theory, with emphasis on modern non-asymptotic techniques and information spectrum methods. We will also discuss various connections/applications to computer science, statistics, and machine learning.
- Required readings will be drawn from:
- Grades will be based on regular written homeworks (30% total), two midterms (20% each), and a final exam (30%).
Regular weekly schedule
- Tue Thu 12:30–1:50pm, 2015 ECE Building
| instructor || Tue 3:00-4:00pm, 162 CSL
| TA || Tue 4:00-6:00pm, 141 CSL
- Due Thursdays, by the end of the day, uploaded to
Gradescope Compass (details to follow soon).
Homeworks are released at least one week before the due date.
Under normal circumstances, graded homework should be returned within 10 days of submission.